Study in St. Petersburg, Russia
Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University - AIFS
“A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma” is how Winston Churchill once described Russia. The vast landscape preserves unique history and cultural heritage that is still unfamiliar to many. Westward-looking Peter the Great, established St. Petersburg to be a display of imperial Russia’s growing status in the world. Peter’s successors—who employed architects to add fabulous palaces and cathedrals to the city’s layout—helped to grow this city to be the Romanovs’ showcase capital and Russia’s first great, modern city. This status still remains despite the capital moving back to Moscow following the revolution. St. Petersburg still feels every bit the imperial capital and a city largely frozen in time.
At Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, you can study Russian language, and take electives taught in English such as history, art history, political science, literature, and sociology. You can live in a homestay or a student residence hall. You'll enjoy cultural and social activities such as visits to museums and cultural sites of St. Petersburg, boat trips along the canals, classical music, opera, and ballet performances. A three-day visit to Moscow is included along with day trips to Pushkin, Peterhof, Novgorod, and Pavlovsk. AIFS offers a four-day optional excursion to Helsinki, Finland, and Tallinn, Estonia.
Semester Program Costs
Cosponsor Program Cost
Find it on their website
UMD Study Abroad Fee
UMD Internet Access Fee
Subtract the Cosponsor Discount
ESTIMATED NET COST
= EST. TOTAL COST
- View detailed information regarding calculating program costs.
- Compare this program cost to UMD's cost of attendance for an academic year.
- If you do not see a cost estimate for the semester/term you intend to go abroad, the cost has not yet been determined. Please note cost estimates and fees may change depending on international economic factors. UMD Study Abroad delays the posting of final fees until enrollments, inflation, and exchange rates are determined in order to provide students with the most accurate pricing. We strive to post final fees by October 1 for Spring programs, March 1 for May/Summer programs, and May 1 for Fall and Academic year programs.
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
Travel & Documents
- Get a passport as it can take 6 weeks to receive it. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- Learn about visa requirements on the affiliate program page
- Plane tickets should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
How to Apply
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: UMD Study Abroad
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: Study in St. Petersburg, Russia - Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Program Contact
Contact Jerolyn Bruns, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for any questions about this program.
American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS) is an Affiliate program provider that we have partnered with to offer study abroad locations all over the globe. If you participate in this program, your grades abroad will factor into your UMD GPA, you’ll receive resident credit and your course grades will appear on your transcript.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.