Study in Dakar, Senegal
Minnesota Studies in International Development (MSID)
One of West Africa's most stable countries is definitely not dull: the capital of Dakar, is a dizzying rich introduction to the country with a climate described as "eternal spring." Perched on the tip of a peninsula, elegance meets chaos, noise, vibrant markets, and glittering nightlife while nearby Île de Gorée and the beaches of Yoff and N'Gor tap to slower, lazy beats. In northern Senegal, the enigmatic capital of Saint-Louis, a Unesco World Heritage Site, exhibits colonial architecture and proximity to luscious national parks.
Along the Petite Côte and Cap Skiring, deltas of the Casamance River reveal hundreds of bird species, from the gleaming wings of tiny kingfishers to the proud poise of pink flamingos.
In this program you will have the opportunity to spend a semester or a year studying international development. You will experience a crossroads where African, Islamic, and Western civilizations meet and interact.
This program combines coursework and hands-on experience in a service-learning internship or research project. Enroll in International Development, Country Analysis of Senegal, Wolof or French Language, and/or Community Engagement in the Global South. Academic-year students continue with directed research and an extended service-learning internship. Explore the complexities of issues such as the environment, globalization, public health, and social justice while living with host families in both urban and rural settings.
Semester Program Costs
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
Travel & Documents
- Get a passport. It takes 6 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- Learn about visa requirements on the cosponsor (or UMTC) web page
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
How to Apply
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: TC Learning Abroad Ctr.
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: MSID Senegal
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Program Contact
Contact Levi Drevlow, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for any questions about this program.
The Learning Abroad Center (LAC) is part of the University of Minnesota system. We have partnered with them to offer study abroad programs in locations all over the globe. If you participate in this program, your grades abroad will factor into your UMD GPA, you’ll receive resident credit, and your course grades will appear on your transcript.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.