Study in Fez, Morocco
Arabic Language Institute in Fez
Fez is the second largest city of Morocco, with a population of 1.1 million (2014). Fes was the capital city of modern Morocco until 1925 and is now the capital of the Fès-Meknès administrative region. The city has two old medina quarters, the larger of which is Fes el Bali. It is listed as a World Heritage Site and is believed to be one of the world's largest urban pedestrian zones (car-free areas). Within the medina transports of goods is provided by donkeys, mules and handcarts.
In this program, based at the Arabic Language Institute, you'll learn Modern Standard Arabic in the classroom and Colloquial Moroccan Arabic on the streets in the community. Outside of class you’ll be able to take in palaces, fondouks, madrasas, and ruins. The location also offers easy access to the Mid-Atlas mountains, fortress town of Chefchaouen, and the bustling markets of Marrakesh. On weekends, explore the capital city of Rabat and the metropolis of Casablanca. Add to your experience of Moroccan culture by living with a local family. Also included are day trips to Volubilis and Meknes, as well as a guided trip into the Sahara Desert.
(Note: study abroad program credits cannot be used in tuition banding.)
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
Travel & Documents
- Get a passport. It takes 6 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- Learn about visa or resident permit requirements (if applicable) on the UMTC website
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
How to Apply
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: TC Learning Abroad Ctr.
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: Arabic Language & Culture in Morocco
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Program Contact
Contact Levi Drevlow, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for any questions about this program.
The UMTC Learning Abroad Center is part of the University of Minnesota system. We have partnered with them to offer study abroad programs in locations all over the globe. If you participate in this program, your grades abroad will factor into your UMD GPA, you’ll receive resident credit, and your course grades will appear on your transcript.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.