Study in Quito, Ecuador
Minnesota Studies in International Development (MSID) | UMTC
Consider the complex topic of international development in a country rich in cultural, geographic, and biological diversity. This program combines coursework with a hands-on service learning internship. Study international development and intercultural understanding through daily contact with local communities.
You can enroll in Country Analysis of Ecuador, International Development, Advanced Spanish, and/or Community Engagement in the Global South. Academic-year students continue with directed research and an extended service-learning internship or research project.
Live with host families in two settings—one urban and one rural. Explore a wide variety of perspectives through this challenging and enriching experience while improving your Spanish language skills.
- Language pre-requisite minimum 4 semesters college-level Spanish
- This program counts for the UMD Liberal Education Global Perspectives Requirement
- Learn about the following areas of study at UMTC Ecuador
- Grassroots Internships and Research Experiences in Development Projects
- Study abroad courses must be reviewed prior to program participation so that you know how they will contribute to your degree progress.
Semester Program Costs
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
(Note: study abroad program credits cannot be used in tuition banding.)
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
- Get a passport. It takes 6 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- Learn about visa or resident permit requirements on the UMTC website (as applicable)
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
How to Apply
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: TC Learning Abroad Ctr.
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: MSID Ecuador (select your track if applicable)
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Program Contact
Contact Levi Drevlow, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for any questions about this program.
The UMTC Learning Abroad Center is part of the University of Minnesota system. We have partnered with them to offer study abroad programs in locations all over the globe. If you participate in this program, your grades abroad will factor into your UMD GPA, you’ll receive resident credit, and your course grades will appear on your transcript.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.