EXCHANGE IN BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND
- The University of Birmingham is one of the U.K.'s most prestigious universities, located in England's second largest city
- Take a variety of challenging and enriching courses at the University of Birmingham (UoB) taught by UoB professors
- Study alongside British and international students alike, providing unique cross-cultural learning and relationships
- Gain independence and confidence by directly enrolling in a foreign university
- Program Fee (Click on the link(s) to view the entire estimated program cost):
- Population of Birmingham: 1,137,100
- Distance to London: 102 miles
The University of Birmingham has a vibrant and lively academic community. Set in a leafy green locale with a wealth of amenities and attractions, it's difficult to not feel inspired by the campus which is rich in heritage and beauty. The campus is built on a 276-acre park with beautiful, red brick buildings. Its nearly 100 meter tall clock tower ('Old Joe') serves as a landmark and can easily help one find their way to the center of the university. UoB has an enrollment of over 22,000 undergraduate students and 12,000 graduate students.
Birmingham (pronounced "Burm-ing-um") is one of the youngest and most diverse cities in the UK. Rejuvenated and reinvented, 21st-century Birmingham buzzes with a big city vibe. Locals have known about it for years, but now the wider world is getting wise to the exciting and diverse cultural mix of this youthful metropolis. Birmingham blends Victorian grandeur with modern architectural influences in just a few meters. Former factories are being transformed into multimedia enclaves while in the Jewelry Quarter, traditional trades sparkle with new life. While it might not be expected, Birmingham actually has more canals than Venice.
UoB has made many of its challenging and enriching undergraduate programs available to incoming exchange students. You'll be able to select classes from up to three of the following colleges at UoB:
Classes (called modules) are worth either 10 or 20 UoB credits each. You'll enroll in 60 UoB credits per semester.
- 10 UoB credits = 3 UMD credits | 20 UoB credits = 5 UMD credits
Degree programs at UoB last 3 years and modules are classified by the following levels. Click here for more information about selecting modules.
- LC Certificate level modules ≈ UMD freshman/sophomore level
- LI Intermediate level modules ≈ UMD sophomore/junior level
- LH Honours level modules ≈ UMD junior/senior level (only consider Honours level modules if you already have a strong understanding of the subject)
UoB modules typically meet once a week for an extended period of time. UoB emphasizes an independent approach to learning. Your time at UoB may be considerably less structured than at UMD, so you'll need to take ownership of your learning experience through independent reading and self-study. Grades can heavily be determined by final exams, papers, or projects.
Registration may not be confirmed until you arrive on campus. Therefore, it's very important you select the same number of first and second choice modules in the case they fill up or overlap. *Modules in English Literature, English Language, American Studies, Politics, History, and Psychology are in high demand and can fill up quickly. Be certain to have backups if you intend to take modules from these areas.
View the University of Birmingham academic calendar
and exchange program dates and deadlines
Fall Semester 2019 (Semester 1)
- Arrival: dependent on accommodation contract dates
- Orientation: September 23, 2019
- Semester: September 30 - December 14, 2019
Spring Semester 2020 (Semester 2)
- Arrival: dependent on accommodation contract dates
- Orientation: January 6, 2020
- Semester: January 13 - June 19, 2020
**Do not make travel arrangements until you have been officially accepted by the University of Birmingham**
Semester Program Costs
Click the links for detailed cost breakdowns for the University of Birmingham:
Fall Term 2019 Costs
Program Fee: $5,997
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Expenses: $7,889
Estimated Total Cost: $13,886
Spring 2020 Term Costs
Program Cost: $5,997
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $10,518
Estimated Total Costs: $16,515
Academic Year 2019-20 Costs
Program Cost: $11,994
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $17,647
Estimated Total Cost: $29,641
Compare this program cost to UMD's cost of attendance for an academic year.
If you do not see a cost estimate for the semester/term you intend to go abroad, the cost has not yet been determined. Please note cost estimates and fees may change depending on international economic factors. UMD Study Abroad delays the posting of final fees until enrollments, inflation, and exchange rates are determined in order to provide students with the most accurate pricing. We strive to post final fees by October 1 for Spring programs, March 1 for May/Summer programs, and May 1 for Fall and Academic year programs.
What’s included in the program fee?
- Personalized advising
- Pre-departure orientation
- Entry visa guidance
- On-site staff support
- Airport reception & pick-up service (fall semester only; sign-up required)
- Foreign transcript issuance
- Grade posting at UMD
- Foreign course evaluation at UMD
- Re-entry support
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Worksheet to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
The University of Birmingham has several accommodations which differ in size, available services, and prices. You can choose between catered (meal plan included) and self-catered (having a kitchen where you prepare your own meals) accommodation. Visit the University of Birmingham Study Abroad Accommodation page for further information and browse options. You can apply for UoB accommodation after being officially accepted and receiving your UoB ID number. Deposit and payment is made directly to UoB Accommodation.
- Get a passport. It takes between 6-8 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date is at least 6 months after your program ends
- Visa guidance will be given by our office as applicable
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after you have been officially accepted by the University of Birmingham and know all relevant dates
This Google document can assist you in the U.K. Tier 4 Student Visa application process. The Study Abroad office will keep this document as up to date as possible, however, you should always check the U.K. Visas & Immigration website for the most up to date information. You will receive more detailed information and advisement once you are confirmed in this program.
How to Apply
Note: A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: UMD Study Abroad
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: Exchange in Birmingham, England - University of Birmingham
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
Review the U.K. specific pre-departure information for this program.
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Study Abroad Program Coordinator
Contact Levi Drevlow, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for the Exchange in Birmingham Program, with any questions.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza,
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.