- Study at a world-class, internationally focused institution located minutes away from the ocean
- Live in the Western Australian city of Perth and get exposed to the local cultural performing arts, museums, sports and restaurants
- Explore beautiful coral reefs, beaches and parks
- Population of Perth: 1.9 million
- Distance to Sydney: 2,051 miles
- Distance to Bali, Indonesia: 1,618 miles
Perth, Australia is a vibrant, energetic city situated on the banks of the Swan River, which twists down into the charming port of Fremantle. The city is sandwiched between arid desert to the east and 7,814 miles of pristine coastline to the west. Adored for its brilliant blue skies, Perth’s warm, sunny climate and white sand beaches are sure to enchant anybody. A must-see destination is King’s Park, a lookout point over the hustle and bustle of city life juxtaposed with the calm of the Australian Bush. Australian Aboriginal culture, one of the oldest in the world, breathes its energy and influence into daily life through traditional song, dance and design.
Curtin University is a thriving international institution with an exciting future. With over 35,000 students, it is Western Australia’s largest university. The main campus in the suburb of Bentley is about six miles southeast of Perth’s central business district. Curtin University has made a long-standing commitment to international education and experience. Its diverse population and international focus prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global environment. It is widely recognized for the practical and applied approach to academia, which empowers students to confront real-world problems.
At Curtin University classes are called units, while majors are referred to as courses. Units are typically worth 25 Curtin credits, or 4 UMD credits. Full-time enrollment consists of 100 credits per term. Understand how your grades abroad will convert at UMD by viewing the Curtin University Grade & Credit Equivalents.
Click links for detailed breakdown of estimated costs for Curtin University:
Fall 2016 Term Costs
Program Fee: $10,364
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Expenses: $10,893
Estimated Total Cost: $21,257
Academic Year 2016–17 Costs
Program Cost: $20,728
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $18,796
Estimate Total Cost: $39,524
Spring 2017 Term Costs
Program Cost: $10,364
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $10,893
Estimate Total Cost: $21,257
Compare this program cost to UMD's cost of attendance. (A semester in 2016-17 at UMD is $12,124.)
What’s included in the program fee?
- Personalized advising
- Pre-departure orientation
- CISI international travel, health and security coverage
- Entry visa assistance
- On-site orientation
- On-site staff support
- International student buddy system
- Foreign transcript issuance
- Grade posting at UMD
- Foreign course evaluation at UMD
- Re-entry support
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
Curtin University offers a variety of comfortable accommodations. Housing facilities typically accommodate 6-8 students via fully furnished on-campus flats (apartments). Most flats are co-ed and offer an individual bedroom with shared kitchen, living room, and bathrooms.
Past students have recommended the following flats: Erica Underwood, George James, Don Watts and Vickery. Find more information about on-campus housing at Curtin University web site. On-campus housing is in high demand, so apply early!
- Get a passport. It takes 6 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- An Australian visa is required for participation on the program and guidance will be given by our office.
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
How to Apply
A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: UMD Study Abroad
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: Study in Perth, Australia
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
UMD Program Contact
Contact Jerolyn Bruns, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator with any questions.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.