This program is full for 2018/19. New applicants will be put on a waiting list.
EXCHANGE IN BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND
- The University of Birmingham is one of the UK's most prestigious universities located in England's second largest city
- Take a variety of courses at the University of Birmingham (UoB) taught by UoB professors
- Study alongside British and international students alike, providing unique cross-cultural learning and relationships
- Gain independence and confidence by directly enrolling in a foreign university
- Program Fee (Click on the link(s) to view the entire estimated program cost):
- Population of Birmingham: 1 million
- Distance to London: 103 miles
Birmingham is an urban environment with 53% of the population being 35 or under. Rejuvenated and reinvented, 21st-century Birmingham buzzes with a big city vibe. Locals have known about it for years, but now the wider world is getting wise to the exciting and diverse cultural mix of this youthful metropolis. Birmingham blends Victorian grandeur with modern architectural influences in just a few meters. Former factories are being transformed into multimedia enclaves while in the Jewelry Quarter, traditional trades sparkle with new life.
The University of Birmingham has a vibrant and lively academic community. It is difficult to not feel inspired by the campus, which is rich in heritage and beauty and set in a leafy green site with a wealth of amenities and attractions. The campus is built on a 276-acre park with beautiful, red brick buildings. UoB has an undergraduate population of over 21,000 undergraduate students and 12,000 graduate students.
The University of Birmingham has made a strategic decision to open almost all of its challenging and enriching undergraduate programs to incoming exchange students. This means that you will now have access to one of the widest ranges of courses available at any U.K. institution. If you meet the pre-requisite entry requirements, you'll be able to select courses from up to three of the following colleges at UoB:
Classes are called modules at UoB and are worth either 10 or 20 UoB credits each. You are required to enroll in 60 UoB credits each semester.
- 10 UoB credits = 3 UMD credits
- 20 UoB credits = 5 UMD credits
Degree programs at UoB last 3 years and modules are classified by the following levels:
- Certificate level modules ≈ 1XXX and 2XXX UMD classes (these modules will primarily be with university students in their freshman year)
- Intermediate level modules ≈ 2XXX and 3XXX UMD classes
- Honours level modules ≈ 3XXX and 4XXX UMD classes
Click here for more guidelines about selecting modules at UoB.
Modules are generally delivered through lectures held in large or medium-sized lecture halls. In the UK, lectures provide the foundations on which you're expected to explore further on your own through independent reading and self-study time. Lectures can also be supplemented by smaller tutorials or seminar classes, which provide an opportunity for discussion in a smaller group setting. Exchange students are examined alongside full-time degree-seeking students. Most modules have an end of semester examination, however, some modules also include mid-term assignments and/or continuous assessment.
You will indicate the college(s) from which you want take modules on your online application. After applying, you will be contacted by the appropriate schools at UoB with a list of available modules. Registration won't be confirmed until you arrive on campus. Therefore, it is very important that you select the same number of first and second choice modules in the case they become full or overlap in day and time. Search for UoB modules that may be available to you your term(s) abroad.
*Modules in English Literature, English Language, American Studies, Politics, History, and Psychology are in high demand and can fill up quickly. Be doubly sure to have backups if you intend to take modules from these areas.
- View foreign University of Birmingham modules and their equivalencies already approved by UMD (select University of Birmingham from the "Foreign University" list)
- Don't see a course reviewed at UMD? Request a syllabus
- University of Birmingham Academic Calendar | Note: Students studying in Fall semester attend the Autumn term at UoB, students studying in Spring attend UoB during both the Spring and Summer term. Please also note this does not include orientation dates. You should not book your flight until you are accepted by UoB and know finalized dates.
- This program counts for the UMD Liberal Education Global Perspectives Requirement
- Understand how your grades abroad will convert at UMD by viewing the University of Birmingham Grade Conversion.
Featured Student Story: Bryce Remple
Semester Program Costs
Click the links for detailed cost breakdowns for the University of Birmingham:
Fall Term 2018 Costs
Program Fee: $5,850
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Expenses: $7,125
Estimated Total Cost: $12,975
Spring 2019 Term Costs
Program Cost: $5,850
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $10,225
Estimated Total Costs: $16,075
Academic Year 2018-19 Costs
Program Cost: $11,700
Estimated Out-of-Pocket Costs: $17,040
Estimated Total Cost: $28,740
Compare this program cost to UMD's cost of attendance for an academic year.
If you do not see a cost estimate for the semester/term you intend to go abroad, the cost has not yet been determined. Please note cost estimates and fees may change depending on international economic factors. UMD Study Abroad delays the posting of final fees until enrollments, inflation, and exchange rates are determined in order to provide students with the most accurate pricing. We strive to post final fees by October 1 for Spring programs, March 1 for May/Summer programs, and May 1 for Fall and Academic year programs.
What’s included in the program fee?
- Personalized advising
- Pre-departure orientation
- Entry visa guidance
- On-site staff support
- Airport reception & pick-up service (fall semester only, sign-up required)
- Foreign transcript issuance
- Grade posting at UMD
- Foreign course evaluation at UMD
- Re-entry support
Consult with One Stop to see how financial aid can apply to study abroad
- Receive guidance about all things money related
- Ask for estimates and budget samples
- Learn when and how financial aid is disbursed
- Ask about other scholarship opportunities & loan info
Plan your budget
Download this Study Abroad Budget Planning Form to estimate costs. Create duplicates to compare this program with others.
The University of Birmingham has several accommodations, which differ in size, available services, and prices. You can choose between catered (meal plan included) and self-catered (has a kitchen where you prepare your own meals) accommodation. Visit the University of Birmingham Study Abroad Accommodation page for further information. Off-campus housing is also available.
- Get a passport. It takes 6 weeks to receive your passport. Make sure your passport expiration date lasts at least 6 months after your program ends
- Visa or residence permit guidance will be given by our office as applicable
- Roundtrip airfare should only be purchased after official acceptance from the foreign university
This Google Document can assist you in the U.K. Tier 4 Student Visa application process. Our office will keep this document as up to date as possible, however, you should always check the U.K. consulate website for the most up to date information. You will receive more detailed information and advice once you are confirmed in this program.
How to Apply
Note: A $50 non-refundable application fee will be billed to your One Stop account upon submission of your online application. Provide the following program info when you apply:
Center Name: UMD Study Abroad
Education Abroad Term: (Fall/Spring/Academic year etc.)
Program Name: Exchange in Birmingham, England - University of Birmingham
After you apply
- You will receive an email confirmation with a link to your application checklist
- Follow instructions for submitting your checklist items on time
- Your UMD study abroad program coordinator will review your application and monitor the progress of your checklist
- Your program coordinator (or short-term program leader) will confirm your acceptance
- Once accepted, you must complete a confirmation checklist to confirm your participation
- Once we receive your confirmation, your account will be billed
If you decide to cancel, you must login to the application system and submit a “Cancel Request.”
Apply early as space is very limited and the program will fill first-come, first-served. An essay and an unofficial transcript is required.
UMD Study Abroad Program Coordinator
Contact Levi Drevlow, the Study Abroad Program Coordinator for the Exchange in Birmingham Program, with any questions.
UMD Study Abroad
UMD 138 Kirby Plaza,
1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 726 8764 or (877) 755-4200
Program health and safety information is available at GO SAFE.